DAHC presents the 5th Annual
Art of the River show
February 2-4, 2017
South Florida State College - DeSoto Campus, Arcadia FL
Click here for directions to South Florida State College, 2251 N. Turner Ave., Arcadia, DeSoto County
Call for artists - click here for brochure and entry form - Note: Entry deadline extended to Jan. 23!
Express your love of the Peace River by entering in the "Art of the River” Art Show to be held at South Florida State College—DeSoto Campus in Arcadia, Florida. DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council announces an art show open to all artists in the Peace River watershed and beyond.
The show will promote awareness of our natural resources as inspiration and solace for artists and communities. All works must be based on past or present life in the Peace River Valley and the natural Florida environment or the rich cultural heritage of the area. The entry theme is broad - anything from Florida's water birds and beautiful rivers and plants to orange groves, cattle ranches, and people shopping for antiques or relaxing on a beach! (But non-Florida scenes such as Colorado mountains or Paris landmarks will be rejected.)
- Two-dimensional (e.g. paintings, drawings, collage)
- Three-dimensional (e.g. sculpture, assemblage, pottery)
Judges are Megan Stepe for two-dimensional and three-dimensional categories, and Mark Renz for the photography entries. Megan is the Curator of the Museum of Florida Art and Culture (MOFAC) at South Florida State College. Mark is a published photographer as well as an expert on Florida fossils.
- Must meet theme
- Work not previously shown in Art of the River
- Only original works (e.g. no giclees)
- All 2-D and photo entries appropriately framed (other than gallery-wrapped canvas)
- Wired for gallery hanging (at least 3" below top) - no sawtooth hangers, no wire loops etc. - DAHC reserves the right to reject entries that are not properly framed.
- Max 12 ft. sq. for 2-D and photos, max. 20 lb. (without prior approval)
- Plexiglas strongly preferred over glass
- 3-D works up to 100 lbs.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED! Mon., Jan. 23 - deadline to submit electronic entry or postmark for mail entry
- Fri. Jan. 27, or Mon. Jan. 30: Intake - entries brought to SFSC-DeSoto
- Thu. Feb. 2 and Fri. Feb. 3 - free exhibit open to the public 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - pieces that won awards will be identified but what place each one will win is not announced until Sat. Feb. 4
- Sat. Feb. 4 - free show open to public 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - winners announced and awards given out at 10 a.m.
- Drawing at noon for winner of Christa Friedl's painting, "The Red Door"
- Sat. Feb. 4 at 3 p.m. or Mon. Feb. 6 - pick up entries (at end of show or during the day Monday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.)
- Cash awards given in all three categories - 2-D, 3-D and photos
- Awards include first, second, third place, plus honorable mentions and awards of merit (if enough entries in category)
- People's Choice voted on Thu., Fri. and Sat., winner announced 1 p.m. Sat. Feb. 4
- Et cetera ...
- Artists may list entered works for sale
- Artists may have free sales space indoors in classrooms
- Artists have option of outdoor vendor space at Rio de la Paz Festival
- DAHC retains 20% commission on sale of items entered into the show - no commission on other items artists sell
- Coffee 'n Canvas (a special version of "Sip 'n Paint") - during the Art of the River show on Sat., Feb. 4, 1-3 p.m. - click here to see the picture we'll be painting, and to sign up in advance
Click here to see the list of winners from the 2016 Art of the River!