DAHC presents Art of the River
February 8-9, 2013
South Florida State College - DeSoto Campus, Arcadia FL
Express your love of the Peace River by entering in the "Art of the River” Art Show to be held at South Florida State College—DeSoto Campus in Arcadia, Florida. DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council announces an art show open to all artists in the Peace River watershed and beyond.
The show will promote awareness of our natural resources as inspiration and solace for artists and communities. All works must be based on past or present life in the Peace River Valley and the natural Florida environment or the rich cultural heritage of the area.
- Two dimensional works (painting, drawing, textiles etc.)
- Three dimensional works (sculpture, pottery, etc.)
- Photos will be judged by Clyde Butcher.
- Artists may submit up to six entries, with up to three entries per category.
- Artists may have a booth or display to sell their work for no additional up-front fee, and only a 10% fee to DAHC on sales.
A minimum of $1,500 in prizes including:
- $200 first place
- $100 second place
- $75 third place
- $50 honorable mention
- $25 Award of Merit in each category
- $150 People's Choice award
Event sponsors contributing over $500 will receive a portion of their contribution in “Art Bucks” to be used to purchase art from show exhibitors. Ten percent of commission will be collected on all sales. Buyer must pay sales tax. Click to open and download the sponsor application.
- $10 each piece for members of DeSoto Arts & Humanities Council
- $15 each piece for non-members of DAHC
- Jan. 21, 2013 - Exhibitors must submit Art Show applications
- Jan. 21, 2013 - Notice of acceptance of art mailed out
- Feb. 1, noon to 4 p.m. or Feb. 4, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Artwork must be delivered to the exhibit site
- Feb. 8, 2013, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Invitation-only reception for sponsors, artists and invited guests.
- Feb. 9, 2013, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. - Public art show and Rio de la Paz Festival
- Feb. 11, 2013, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. - Pick up all artwork not sold or removed at the end of the show
Click for the artists' brochure and entry form.
DAHC will need many volunteers to help with its Artists Reception on Feb. 8 and the art exhibit and Rio de la Paz Festival on Feb. 9. People will be needed to help take in art on Feb. 1 & 4 and to hang the art exhibit on Feb. 5.
People will be needed the day of the Festical to direct visitors to parking and exhibits, to sit in classrooms where artists' works are for sale, and assist buyers with "Art Bucks" to make their purchases.
To learn more, email to DAHC for details.
More attractions at the Rio de la Paz Festival
More activities and attractions have been added to the Rio de la Paz Festival,
- An 18-mile bike ride along the scenic Peace River in DeSoto County, sponsored by DAHC, Acme Bicycle Shop, DeSoto County Dept. of Health and DeSoto County Parks & Rec - click here for details amd get a detailed listing of the route here
- A visit by the The Royal Order of Ponce de Leon Conquistadors along with their lifesize replica of a Spanish galleon
- Bus painting for kids and teens! Peace River Canoe Outpost is donating a bus used to transport canoers to the river. You bring your wildest imagination to make your vision come true on a really large canvas - then enjoy seeing the bus with your art as it drives around DeSoto County!
- A variety of children's activities
- A variety of musical entertainment throughout the day
- Plenty of vendors and food