DAHC presents Art of the River
February 7-8, 2014
South Florida State College - DeSoto Campus, Arcadia FL
Express your love of the Peace River by entering in the "Art of the River” Art Show to be held at South Florida State College—DeSoto Campus in Arcadia, Florida. DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council announces an art show open to all artists in the Peace River watershed and beyond.
The show will promote awareness of our natural resources as inspiration and solace for artists and communities. All works must be based on past or present life in the Peace River Valley and the natural Florida environment or the rich cultural heritage of the area.
We are honored to announce that Florida's most famous photographer, Clyde Butcher, has again agreed to judge the photography entires for the Art of the River show. Learn more about Clyde Butcher at his website.
Click here for a downloadable copy of the event brochure.
- Two dimensional works (painting, drawing, textiles etc.)
- Three dimensional works (sculpture, pottery, etc.)
- Artists may submit up to five entries.
- Click here to download the artist entry form! To submit your entries, fill out the form and email it to email@example.com. (You may pay your entry fees when you deliver your artwork.)
- Special category for students - click here to download the student entry form!
A minimum of $1,500 in prizes including:
- $250 Best of Show
- In each category ...
- $200 first place
- $100 second place
- $75 third place
- $50 honorable mention
- $25 Award of Merit
- $150 People's Choice award
Event sponsors contributing over $500 will receive a portion of their contribution in “Art Bucks” to be used to purchase art from show exhibitors. Ten percent of commission will be collected on all sales. Buyer must pay sales tax. Click to open and download the sponsor brochure and sponsor application.
- $10 each piece for members of DeSoto Arts & Humanities Council
- $15 each piece for non-members of DAHC
- Jan. 11, 2014 - Exhibitors must submit Art Show applications (online application or postmarked if mailed)
- Jan. 17, 2014 - Notice of acceptance of art mailed out or e-mailed
- Jan. 31, noon to 4 p.m. or Feb. 3, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Artwork must be delivered to the exhibit site
- Feb. 7, 2014, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Invitation-only reception for sponsors, artists and invited guests.
- Feb. 8, 2014, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. - Public art show and Rio de la Paz Festival
- Feb. 10, 2014, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. - Pick up all artwork not sold or removed at the end of the show
Call for Vendors
We are looking for all kinds of vendors - from artists and authors to artisans and crafters, plants, souvenirs, and of course, food! If you'd like a booth at the 2014 Rio de la Paz Festival, download the Vendor application form here.
DAHC will need many volunteers to help with its Artists Reception on Feb. 7 and the art exhibit and Rio de la Paz Festival on Feb. 8. People will be needed to help take in art on Friday, Jan. 31 & Monday, Feb. 3 and to hang the art exhibit on Monday, Feb. 3.
People will be needed the day of the Festival to direct visitors to parking and exhibits, to sit in classrooms where artists' works are for sale, and assist buyers with "Art Bucks" to make their purchases.
Some scenes from last year
Many thanks to John Worthington of Dark Sunset Photography who created a wonderful video to give you a flavor of last year's Art of the River artists reception on Friday evening and the rRio de la Paz Festival on Saturday! Click here to watch it now!
Artists may designate the price for each work entered in the show, or mark it Not For Sale (NSF). DAHC will collect a 20% commission for each item entered in the show and offered for sale. Artist is responsible for sales tax.
Watch this site for more details and an online application form in the near future. To learn more, email to DAHC for details.
Thanks to our sponsors!
Please support them with your business and tell them you appreciate their support of the arts in DeSoto County!