DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council
The DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council of Arcadia was organized in 2006 to promote the arts in DeSoto County, Florida. Our goal is to make all of the arts — visual, literary and performing — an important part of our community and accessible to everyone.
The group features several activities for member artists, including:
- Monthly meetings, often including a featured speaker or demonstration
- Monthly Art Walks from October through April, where artists can display and sell their works
- An annual art show with several prizes awarded
- Groups of artists who concentrate on specific areas (e.g., painters, writers, photographers), share their work with others, critique work and join in field trips
- Special events, such as the Art of the River and Rio de la Paz Festival, coming in Feb. 2013
- Special fundraising events, such as the Historic Arcadia calendar sales
- Monthly newsletter with information about DAHC's activities, sales and shows of other area art groups, and helpful tips
- Opportunities to volunteer to foster the arts in our community, including the weekly Children's Art program at the DeSoto COunty Library
Explore our site
Find out what DAHC can offer you!
DAHC will need many volunteers to help with its Artists Reception on Feb. 8 and the art exhibit and Rio de la Paz Festival on Feb. 9. People will be needed to help take in art on Feb. 5 and to hang the art exhibit that week.
People will be needed the day of the Festival to direct visitors to parking and exhibits, to sit in classrooms where artists' works are for sale, and assist buyers with "Art Bucks" to make their purchases.
To learn more, email to DAHC for details.
The entry deadline for Art of the River has been extended to January 21. Click here for details.